Kestrel Meter 5500 Weather Meter
The Kestrel 5500 Pocket Weather Tracker (tripod NOT included) is Kestrel's environmental meter. This is a mini weather station in itself. The Kestrel 5500 upgraded from the Kestrel 4500 in November of 2015. Functionally, you're getting more environmental features with some big improvements to the overall meter.
Kestrel 5500 is available in:
- Non Bluetooth: $309
- W/ Bluetooth LiNK & Vane Mount: $399
- (Tripods sold separately)
Colors: Yellow, Olive Drab, Desert Tan
What's new with the Kestrel 5500 over the previous Kestrel 4500 series:
- Bluetooth LINK work with PC/Mac via Dongle
- Bluetooth LINK to Smartphones / Mobiel / Android / IOS
- Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
- Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard, should your battery leak as was common with all the 4000 series
- Improved high resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
- Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
- Multiple Languages: English, French, German, Spanish
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window
- All meters include both options of Red (NV - Night Vision) & White backlights.
- Slightly bigger, not really noticeable difference. Fits same cases.
- Includes vane mount with 5500 LiNK option
- Roughly 12,000 data points.
The Kestrel 5500 has these distinct monitoring functions over the other 5000 series:
- Digital Compass
- Wind Direction
- Headwind / Tailwind
These added features make the 5500 the Kestrel Meter of choice for military professionals, HAZMAT teams, and flight crews. Like all of the new 5000 series, it can store up to roughly 10,000 data points.
If you select the Bluetooth Kestrel LINK model, your meter includes custom communication software designed to quickly and easily configure your data transmission frequency, download logged data, graph data and transfer data to other applications. It is no longer necessary to purchase an interface separately, the new Kestrel Meters with Bluetooth include the software necessary to communicate wirelessly at a range of up to 100 feet with a clear line of site (walls or obstacles will effect this range).
Note, you will need a Dongle. A workaround if you don't have this with you would be to upload your data to your mobile smartphone and email it to yourself and open it on your Mac/PC. On the 4000 series you did not need the Dongle.
All 5000 series meters will have both a bright green backlight, which is great for even high sunlight conditions, and a night-vision preserving backlight. The red night vision (NV) backlight incorporates optical filter to reduce overall brightness and minimize blue and green spectrum light to preserve night vision. (Note: This 'night vision' is not compatible with night-vision equipment.) Basically, with the red backlight, your eyes don't need to adjust when looking from your meter to the horizon in night time use.
Here's a list of ballistic apps, if you know of others, let us know, and we'll find out if they work with the new Kestrel 5500 series using BTLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) LiNK. Keep in mind, you can use the meter with any and input data manually. The 5500 is the most popular due to the compass with crosswind functions. See other Software Partner details.
- Lex Talus: No
- Ventus 1 Downrange Systems: No
- Sniper Calculator: Unsure
- BulletFlight: No
- Strelok: Yes
- Ballistics AE: Yes
- Shooter: Unsure
- Applied Ballistics: No
- Mil.ballistics: No (DROP 3 only)
The Kestrel Meter 5500 Weather Meter measures/features
- Heading (true & magnetic)
- Wind direction
- Pressure trend
- Barometric pressure
- Wet bulb temperature
- Relative humidity in %
- Heat stress index
- Density altitude
- Wind chill
- Air, water, and snow temperature °F or °C
- Current, average, and maximum air velocity
- Waterproof (sealed to IP67 standards) and floats
- Time and date
- Easy- to-read backlit display
- Data Logger (automatic and manual)
- Customizable data storage - 12,000 data points
- Measures all of the parameters required for CAMEO / ALOHA Software and PEAC-WMD software by Aristatek to monitor plume dispersion
- Minimum, Maximum and Average values
- Multi-Function 3-line display
- Humidity sensor can be recalibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
- Exterior temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors for fast and accurate readings
- Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
- Graph and recall trends
- User-replaceable impeller
- Flip-top impeller cover allows use of other functions while protecting the impeller
- Data charting
- Upload to a computer (with optional interface) Mac or PC
- Works with Android and iPhone Apps!
- Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
- Rugged (drop tested to MIL-STD-810G standards), waterproof (sealed to IP67 standards) and floats.
- US Patent Nos. 5,783,753 and 5,939,645 and 6,257,074
- Assembled in the USA
Works with Compatible Apps:
Kestrel LiNK for Windows & Mac
Simple communication to Windows and Mac computers is provided through the optional LiNK .USB Dongle or USB Data Transfer Cable. Download your data to view, analyze and archive. Enables firmware update of Kestrel 5 series meters.
Kestrel LiNK for iOS & Android
Wirelessly connect with iOS and Android devices. When in range, view real-time measurements, receive on-screen alerts and download your data. Logged data can be viewed, analyzed, archived and shared via e-mail, Facebook and Twitter. Enables firmware update of Kestrel 5 series meters. NOTE: Range up to 100’ line of sight – reduced by walls and obstructions.
Kestrel Meter 5500 Includes:
- Neck Lanyard
- AA Lithium Battery (Average Life 400 Hours)
- Protective Drawstring Pouch
- Certificate of Conformity (with complete specifications)
- Instruction Manual
- Five Year Warranty
- Zipper carry pouch holding meter with Vane Mount
- 2.5 x 3 x 8.5 inches / 6.5 x 7.5 x 22 cm
Models & SKUs:
- Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter (Yellow): 0855YEL
- Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter (Olive): 0855OLV
- Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter (Tan): 0855TAN
- Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter with LiNK + Vane Mount (Yellow): 0855LVYEL
- Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter with LiNK + Vane Mount (Olive): 0855LVOLV
- Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter with LiNK + Vane Mount (Tan): 0855LVTAN
Kestrel Meter 5500 Additional Information
- Kestrel 5500 (PDF) Quick Start Guide English
- Kestrel 5500 Series (PDF) Certificates of Conformity English
- Kestrel LiNK Bluetooth Apps. Click Here
- iOS 6 installed iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd generation or later
- Dimensions: 5.0 x 1.8 x 1.1 in. / 12.7 x 4.5 x 2.8 cm
- Weight: 3.6 Ounces / 102 Grams
- Model: Kestrel 5500 Environmental Meter Yellow: Part # 0855YEL
- Model: Kestrel 5500 Environmental Meter Olive: Part # 0855OLV
- Model: Kestrel 5500 Environmental Meter Tan: Part # 0855TAN
- Model: Kestrel 5500 Environmental Meter with LiNK + Vane Mount Yellow: Part # 0855LVYEL
- Model: Kestrel 5500 Environmental Meter with LiNK + Vane Mount Olive: Part # 0855LVOLV
- Model: Kestrel 5500 Environmental Meter with LiNK + Vane Mount Tan: Part # 0855LVTAN
- Place of Origin: USA