Kestrel 5000 vs 4000 Series Detailed Differences
November 2015 Kestrel 5000 series begins its launch. Here's the scoop:
- Kestrel 5000 replaces the 4000
- Kestrel 5100 replaces the 4250 Racing Meter (Water Grains)
- Kestrel 5200 replaces the 4250 CFM / 4300 Construction (combined)
- Kestrel 5400 replaces the 4400/4600
- Kestrel 5500 replaces the 4500
- Kestrel 5700 replaces the Applied Ballistic 4500
- Kestrel Applied Ballistic Sportsman (same name, updated)
Functionally they will be the same. You won't get a 'better' temperature reading, wind reading, etc... still the same quality USA made meter backed by a 5 year warranty. Don't feel the need to rush out and get a new one, but.... there are some advantages that may or may not effect you.
- Bluetooth LINK work with PC/Mac via Dongle (included)
- Bluetooth LINK to Smartphones / Mobiel / Android / IOS
- Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
- Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard, should your battery leak as was common with all the 4000 series. All 5000 battery doors are the same and interchangeable.
- Slightly larger and improved higher contrast / resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
- Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
- Multiple Languages
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window
- All meters include both options of Red (NV - Night Vision) & White backlights.
- Slightly bigger, more robust, though not really noticeable difference.
- Includes improved vane mount that is simpler and stronger. It's included with all 5500 LINK models as well as a couple Heat Stress models and one of the Sportsman.
- Roughly 10,000 data points. 4000 series all had under 5000 data points.
o There is an app for mobile devices called Kestrel LiNK (for iOS/Android). At launch it will be available on iOS. Q1 it will be available on Android as well. This app will display live data, export data logs, and update firmware. It’s basically a clone of the DROP app and will work with DROPs as well as Kestrel 5 Series units.
o The apps and ability to talk to laser range finders make this a much more powerful unit vs the K4. You now have the ability to view data remotely, store and export data on your phone, and update firmware automatically.
RH calibration period changes:
- NK has changed RH sensors to a new type that doesn’t experience as much drift. They have also improved the process which will lead to less variation in factory RH calibration. Out of the box and in terms of drift, RH accuracy is improved. The initial firmware version in the units does not have a field RH calibration process however that is in the works. With a new firmware update, RH calibration will be available in the field! We will be recommending that RH calibration be done at the NK factory as it is now more accurate than what can be done in the field but the existing salt based RH calibration kits will still be available.