Kestrel Meter 4000 Weather Meter
**Discontinued as of December 1, 2015, the Kestrel 5000 has been released which essentially replaced the 4000. It has the same and some added functions along with some physical and connectivity improvements, like IOS capability.
With many Kestrel 4000's on the market and aftermarket, we're leaving this page up to see what the 4000 was all about historically for reference.
Here is a VIDEO showing the 4000 vs the new 5000 series
The Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Meter was the baseline wind and weather meter in the Kestrel 4000 series. What set the 4000 and now 5000 series apart from the rest of the Kestrel family is that these high tech weather meters have the capability to store up to 2000 points of weather data, enabling you to track changes in the environment over time. The 5000 series will log roughly 10,000 data points.
The Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Meter is the first in the next generation of Kestrel Meters. It has all the wind and weather monitoring functions available with the Kestrel 3500 Wind Meter, plus the distinct advantage of data storage, graphing functions, and computer interface technology. With these additional options you will be able to record changes in the weather over time, view these changes as graphs on your Kestrel 4000's display, and even upload the data to your PC or Mac with the Kestrel Interface. The Kestrel 4000 series is now available with Bluetooth Technology, which allows you to communicate with your Kestrel at a range of up to 30-feet, and maximize the battery life of your weather meter.
Each Bluetooth Meter includes custom communication software designed to quickly and easily configure your data transmission frequency, download logged data, graph data and transfer data to other applications. It is no longer necessary to purchase an interface separately, the new Kestrel Meters with Bluetooth include the software necessary to communicate wirelessly.
For military professionals, the Olive Drab NV version of the Kestrel 4000 features a night-vision preserving backlight. Backlight incorporates optical filter to reduce overall brightness and minimize blue and green spectrum light to preserve night vision. (Note: This backlight appears soft greyish pink, not "red", and is still in the visible spectrum, so is not compatible with night-vision equipment.)
The advantage the Kestrel 4000 provides to scientists, athletes, firefighters, automotive technicians, and agricultural specialists is immeasurable. With Kestrel 4000 technology, you will not only know the current weather conditions, but be able to track changes in the environment and therefore make predictions as to what may happen next.
Included with the Kestrel Meter 4000 was: Soft Carry Pouch, Wrist & Neck Lanyard, 5 Year Warranty, 2 AAA Batteries, Kestrel Certificate of Conformity
The Kestrel Meter 4000 Weather Meter measures/features
- Barometric pressure
- Pressure trend
- Relative humidity
- Heat stress index
- Wet bulb temperature
- Density altitude
- Wind chill
- Air, water, and snow temperature
- Current wind speed
- Average wind speed
- Maximum wind gust
- Waterproof and floats
- Easy to read, backlit display
- Time and date
- Exterior temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors for fast and accurate readings
- Humidity sensor can be recalibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
- Minimum, maximum, and average values
- Automatically store measurements, even when the unit is turned off
- Manually store measurements with the press of a button
- Customizable data storage - 4000 data points
- Graph and recall trends
- Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
- Data charting
- Data upload (with optional interface)
- Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
- User-replaceable impeller
- Flip-top impeller cover allows use of other functions while protecting the impeller
- US Patent Nos. 5,783,753 and 5,939,645 and 6,257,074
- All instruments and accessories are completely assembled in the USA
The Kestrel Meter 4000 Includes
- Soft carry pouch
- Neck lanyard
- Neck lanyard
- Batteries - 2 AAA
*We shipped every Kestrel 4000 Series Meter exclusively with Made in the USA Energizer® Brand Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries for improved reliability, capacity, cold-weather performance and weight. We strongly recommend that you use only Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in your Kestrel Meter. If you choose to install alkaline batteries, we recommend that you do NOT store your Kestrel with these batteries installed, and that you check your batteries for leakage and corrosion a minimum of every 30 days. Damage due to leaking alkaline batteries is not covered under warranty.
Kestrel Meter 4000 Additional Information
- Kestrel 4000 (PDF) Instruction Manual English
- Kestrel 4000 Archived (PDF) Instruction Manual English | French | Spanish | German | Italian
- Kestrel 4000 Quick Start Card (PDF)
- Kestrel Meters Detailed Specs / Certificate of Conformity (All Meters, PDF)
- Kestrel Meters Catalog (PDF)
- Kestrel Communicator Download for Bluetooth Model
- RoHS CERTIFICATE of Compliance
- Dimensions: 5 x 1.8 x 1.1 in. / 127 x 45 x 28 mm
- Weight: 3.6 Ounces / 102 Grams
- Model: Kestrel 4000, Part # 0840ORA / 0840GRY
- Model: Kestrel 4000 Night Vision, Part # 0840NVOLV / 0840NVTAN
- Model: Kestrel 4000 Bluetooth, Part # 0840BORA / 0840BGRY
- Model: Kestrel 4000 Night Vision Bluetooth, Part # 0840BNVOLV / 0840BNVTAN
- Place of Origin: USA