Kestrel Meter 4000 Weather Meter
CLOSEOUT BUY OPPORTUNITY!
We have limited quantities available in select models. Once these are gone, we will not be getting more.
**Discontinued as of December 1, 2015. The newly released Kestrel 5000 essentially replaces the 4000. It has the same and some added functions along with some physical and connectivity improvements, like iOS capability.
With many Kestrel 4000's on the market and aftermarket, we're leaving this page up to see what the 4000 was all about historically for reference.
Here is a VIDEO showing the 4000 vs the new 5000 series
What improved for the new Kestrel 5000 over this Kestrel 4000:
As for weather reading features, they will be the same. You won't get a 'better' temperature reading, wind reading, etc, or even more readings than available on the 4000... still the same quality USA made meter backed by a 5 year warranty. Here is what changed:
- Bluetooth LINK work with PC/Mac via Dongle.
- Bluetooth LINK to Smartphones / Mobiel / Android / IOS
- Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
- Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard, should your battery leak as was common with all the 4000 series. All 5000 battery doors are the same and interchangeable.
- Slightly larger and improved higher contrast / resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
- Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
- Multiple Languages (English, French, German, Spanish)
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window
- All meters include both options of Red (NV - Night Vision) & White backlights.
- Slightly bigger, more robust, though not really noticeable difference.
- Roughly 10,000 data points. 4000 series all had under 5000 data points.
Historical Information on the Kestrel 4000
The Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Meter was the baseline wind and weather meter in the Kestrel 4000 series. What set the 4000 and now 5000 series apart from the rest of the Kestrel family is that these high tech weather meters have the capability to store up to 2000 points of weather data, enabling you to track changes in the environment over time. The 5000 series will log roughly 10,000 data points.
The Kestrel 4000 had all the wind and weather monitoring functions available with the Kestrel 3500 Wind Meter, plus the distinct advantage of data storage, graphing functions, and computer interface technology. With these additional options you will be able to record changes in the weather over time, view these changes as graphs on your Kestrel 4000's display, and even upload the data to your PC with the Kestrel Interface. The Kestrel 4000 series had Bluetooth, but was NOT compatible with IOS, and had a range of up to 30-feet.
For military professionals, the Olive Drab NV version of the Kestrel 4000 features a night-vision preserving backlight. Backlight incorporates optical filter to reduce overall brightness and minimize blue and green spectrum light to preserve night vision. (Note: This backlight appears soft greyish pink, not "red", and is still in the visible spectrum, so is not compatible with night-vision equipment.)
Included with the Kestrel Meter 4000 was: Soft Carry Pouch, Wrist & Neck Lanyard, 5 Year Warranty, 2 AAA Batteries, Kestrel Certificate of Conformity
The Kestrel Meter 4000 Weather Meter measures/features included:
- Barometric pressure
- Pressure trend
- Relative humidity
- Heat stress index
- Wet bulb temperature
- Density altitude
- Wind chill
- Air, water, and snow temperature
- Current wind speed
- Average wind speed
- Maximum wind gust
- Waterproof and floats
- Backlit display
- Time and date
- Exterior temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors for fast and accurate readings
- Humidity sensor can be calibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
- Minimum, maximum, and average values
- Automatically store measurements, even when the unit is turned off
- Manually store measurements with the press of a button
- Customizable data storage - 4000 data points
- Graph and recall trends
- Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
- Data charting
- Data upload (with optional interface)
- Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
- User-replaceable impeller
- Flip-top impeller cover allows use of other functions while protecting the impeller
- US Patent Nos. 5,783,753 and 5,939,645 and 6,257,074
- All instruments and accessories are completely assembled in the USA
The Kestrel Meter 4000 Included:
- Soft carry pouch
- Neck lanyard
- Neck lanyard
- Batteries - 2 AAA
- Sold for $249 Non Bluetooth, $354 with Bluetooth NV
- Was available in Grey, Orange, Olive Drab, or Tan
- Discontinued in December 2015
*We shipped every Kestrel 4000 Series Meter exclusively with Made in the USA Energizer® Brand Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries for improved reliability, capacity, cold-weather performance and weight. We strongly recommend that you use only Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in your Kestrel Meter. If you choose to install alkaline batteries, we recommend that you do NOT store your Kestrel with these batteries installed, and that you check your batteries for leakage and corrosion a minimum of every 30 days. Damage due to leaking alkaline batteries is not covered under warranty.
Kestrel Meter 4000 Additional Information
- Kestrel 4000 (PDF) Instruction Manual English
- Kestrel 4000 Archived (PDF) Instruction Manual English | French | Spanish | German | Italian
- Kestrel 4000 Quick Start Card (PDF)
- Kestrel Meters Detailed Specs / Certificate of Conformity (All Meters, PDF)
- Kestrel Meters Catalog (PDF)
- Kestrel Communicator Download for Bluetooth Model
- RoHS CERTIFICATE of Compliance
- Dimensions: 5 x 1.8 x 1.1 in. / 127 x 45 x 28 mm
- Weight: 3.6 Ounces / 102 Grams
- Model: Kestrel 4000, Part # 0840ORA / 0840GRY
- Model: Kestrel 4000 Night Vision, Part # 0840NVOLV / 0840NVTAN
- Model: Kestrel 4000 Bluetooth, Part # 0840BORA / 0840BGRY
- Model: Kestrel 4000 Night Vision Bluetooth, Part # 0840BNVOLV / 0840BNVTAN
- Place of Origin: USA