Lithium Batteries for your Kestrel 4000 series
Kestrel Meters come with a 5 year warranty. Our warranty rate is EXTREMELY low. It's pretty remarkable, but part of that has to do with quality control. All of our meters are made here in the USA, just outside of Philadelphia under one roof.
That being said, on occasion, we do get some upset customers who find their batteries have leaked. Unfortunately, NK, the manufacturer, does NOT cover a battery leak (after 30 days) under warranty and the meter is usually destroyed.
What can you do to help prevent this? USE USA MADE, BRAND NAME LITHIUM BATTERIES
We ship every Kestrel 4000 Series Meter exclusively with Made in the USA Energizer® Brand Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries for improved reliability, capacity, cold-weather performance and weight. We strongly recommend that you use only Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in your Kestrel Meter. If you choose to install alkaline batteries, we recommend that you do NOT store your Kestrel with these batteries installed, and that you check your batteries for leakage and corrosion a minimum of every 30 days. Damage due to leaking alkaline batteries is not covered under warranty.
1) We use Energizer Brand Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries.
2) Energizer lithiums are Made in the USA. http://the-gadgeteer.com/2012/06/06/energizer-ultimate-lithium-batteries-review/
3) Lithium batteries offer much longer life with Bluetooth applications. (up to 3X as long).
4) Lithium batteries are lighter.
5) Lithium batteries offer better cold-weather performance
6) And most importantly, lithium batteries WILL NOT LEAK in storage applications, even with the low level power drain of data logging. They protect an expensive Kestrel Meter from internal damage due to inexpensive and leak-prone alkaline batteries.